Friday, June 26, 2009

A scarry Thursday morning

I had a slight set back in my recovery Thursday morning. I had just finished my shower and was drying off, luckily sitting down on the shower chair, when I suffered a TIA. This is short for Transient Ischemic Attack, commonly called a mini-stroke. They only last a few minutes with no permanent damage, they are one of the warning signs that a major stroke is on the horizon. While it was happening I could not speak, was having difficulty even shaking my head yes or no, and was confused and I also had a seizure in my arm. After it was over, approximately 3-5 minutes, it seemed longer at the time, it was like a light switch had been turned on and I was back to normal. Since the nurse that does the dressing change twice a week was due out within the hour we didn't call 911, the Oncologist nurse when she called really stressed that I should have called 911. They didn't have me come in since I have an MRI scheduled in August and since these were expected to start at some point and they generally don't cause any permanent damage.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the setback. Remember to call 911 next time. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete